The GP direct access ambulatory ECG service has been running in Sunderland since June 2016. The service enables your GP to request a 24 hour – 7 day ambulatory ECG from a hub based in a GP surgery close to home without the need to go to hospital.
Ambulatory ECG is a test which helps your GP to diagnose medical conditions such as atrial fibrillation or to establish the cause of palpitations. Previously these tests were only done in hospital but now with new technology these tests can be done closer to home.
There are 9 hubs in GP practices across the whole city of Sunderland. As a patient you can chose to have your holter monitor fitted in a convenient location. The service is usually also able to do tests quickly without long waiting times and results go straight to your own GP. Who will then be able to create an appropriate action plan with you, the patient.
In 2018 we aim to work with wider stakeholders to integrate this service into the palpitations pathway across primary and secondary care.
“The technology itself is really easy to use and unobtrusive allowing me to quickly fit the device and upload the results for analysis. We are one of the hubs supporting other GPs practices in Sunderland ensures these patient benefits are passed to practices throughout the city as well.”
Jill Dury – Practice Nurse – Springwell Medical Group
AIMS AND OUTCOMES
• A positive patient experience
• Direct access for you and your GP to rapid testing
• Referral integrated into EMIS clinical system
• Reports come in pdf format and can be attached to referrals
• Integration with wider cardiology specialist services for advice and guidance
• Easy to interpret results, with links to specialists for further advice and guidance when required.
Karen Swaile; Clinical Services Manager